Engineering is one of the oldest discipline but electrical engineering surfaced quite late. In fact the discipline emerged after the invention of the electronic appliances like telephone, electric telegraph and electric power came into existence.
The Bachelor of Electrical engineering is a branch of an engineering that provides students with the knowledge and understanding of the application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics. Throughout the program emphasis is placed on mathematics, physic and different aspects of electrical engineering including energy supply, electronic devices & circuits and telecommunication. Students have option to choose from the elective subjects such as photovoltaic, reliability engineering, alternative power generation, advanced power system, micro-hydro power, rural electrification, electric energy system management, control system components & design etc. The program provides adequate practical components in addition to lectures.
The major objective of this program is to produce the competent electric engineering. Some other objectives include
- Enable students to generate, analyze and interpret data
- Enable students to communicate efficiently
- Enable students to function well in multidisciplinary team
- Enable students to understand and solve the electric-related issues
- Provide a foundation of skills, knowledge and versatility that will last a lifetime
- Prepare students for further education
Cost of Study:
Tribhuvan University: IOE charges NRs. 75,847.50 for Nepali students and NRs. 2,23,520 for international students to study the program. The fee of affiliated colleges is not determined by the IOE thus the tuition fee varies from institution to institution. The tuition fee in private colleges range from NRs. 600,000 to NRs.900,000.
Duration of Course
The duration of the Bachelor of Electrical Engineering program is four years, divided into a number of semesters which are generally eight in number.
Career Prospect in Nepal
The demand of electric engineering graduates is increasing. Today electricity has become a major part of our life. Houses, companies or factories, all depend heavily upon the electricity and that creates a lot of opportunity to the electric engineering grads. They can serve in both private and public sectors. They can work in electricity boards, electrical design and consultancy firms, thermal power plant and atomic power plant. Apart from this, they can work in academic intuitions or research lab.
Graduates with this degree can serve as project head, consultant, project manager, electrical product design engineer, development and test engineers, engineering technologist, operations mangier, workshop manager, chief managers, etc.
- A candidate seeking admission to the Bachelor of Electrical Engineering program should have completed 12 years of formal education
- Candidate should have secured at least 45% in I.SC in Science stream or completed the Diploma in Engineering from the college recognized by the respective university
- Candidate should appear and pass the entrance examination conducted by the respective university. Only selected candidate will be called for the personal interview
- Admission is granted on the merit basis
- Complete and signed application form along with an application fee
- Copy of academic certificates (SLC/SEE and +2)
- Copy of character certificates issued by school and college
- Copy of citizenship card
- Two recent passport size photographs
Tribhuvan University: Each year IOE provide admission to 48 students and out of those students it provides scholarship to six female students. Private colleges offer scholarship according to the college’s rule. Most of them provide scholarship to the students who have topped the entrance test and some of them offer need base scholarship as well. For detailed information, students may contact the college’s administration.
Purbanchal University: Each year 48 students are admitted to the Bachelor of Electrical Engineering program offered by the Purbanchal University. The university provide 10% scholarship.
List of College offering Bachelor of Electrical Engineering
Colleges Affiliated to Tribhuvan University
- Thapathali Campus-institute of Engineering, located in Thapathali, Kathmandu
- Paschimanchal Campus, located in Lamachaur Rd, Pokhara
- Purwanchal Campus: Institute of Engineering, located in Koshi Hwy, Dharan
- Pulchowk Campus, located in Mitra Marg, Patan
- Advanced College of Engineering and Management, located in Kupondol Rd, Patan
- National College of Engineering, located in Tikabhairab Sadak, Patan
- Kathmandu Engineering College, located in Ganeshman Singh Rd, Kathmandu
- Khwopa College of Engineering, located in Libali, Bhaktapur
- Colleges Affiliated to Purbanchal University
- Hillside College of Engineering, located in Balkumari, Koteshwor, Kathmandu
The future of Bachelor of Electrical Engineering degree holder is very bright in Nepal as well as abroad. The median wage of fresher is around NRs. 25,000 to NRs. 30,000 per month in Nepal. In the foreign countries, they earn around $45,000 per year.
Further Study Option
The Bachelor of Electrical Engineering provides strong foundation for the higher studies. An individual with this degree can pursue further education in Master of Electrical Engineering, Master of Engineering/Master of Science (M.Eng./M.Sc)., Master of Engineering Management etc.
List of Similar Courses
- Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Engineering (BE Computer)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering (BE Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics Engineering (BE Engineering)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical and Electronics Engineering