With the time, the popularity of the Bachelor of Hotel Management degree is increasing. Commonly referred as BHM, the program deals with the overall operation of the hotels from managing the organization to the customer’s satisfaction. The program is designed to produce competent and efficient manpower to serve the hotel industry. Other than providing students with the conceptual knowledge, the program emphasizes in developing professional skills by exposing students to the contemporary industry practice.
The program is divided into 4 key components: the foundation courses, core courses, industrial courses and internship. Hotel Engineering, Computer Application, Hospitality Marketing, Hotel Accounting, Nutrition, Food Science and Hygiene, Housekeeping Operation, Front Office Operation, Food & Beverage Service are some subjects, BHM students should undertake.
Some major objective of the Bachelor of Hotel Management program is to:
Provide students with the skills and attribute to function well in the real marketplace
Enable students to function individually and in team
Develop analytical and decision skills
Develop leadership quality
Equip students with the confidence and abilities to become an entrepreneur
Built a strong foundation for the higher studies in Nepal and abroad
Cost of Study:
Bachelor of Hotel Management is a little expensive than most of the undergraduate programs. The tuition fee usually ranges from 5 to 6 lakhs.
Duration of Course
The Bachelor of Hotel management degree is awarded after the completion of four years of full-time study. The 4 year-long program is further divided into 8 semesters consisting of 120 credit hours.
Apart from classroom learning, students are provided with an opportunity to explore the functioning of the hotel industries.
Career Prospect in Nepal
The degree prepares students for a global career since hotel industry is flourishing all around the world. The Bachelor of Hotel Management grads find a job in the fields of events management, food service management, conference and catering. Restaurant manager, public house manager, hotel manager, fast-food restaurant manager, event manager, chef, catering manager, accommodation manager, customer service manager, human resources officer and retail manager are some of the career option for BHM graduates.
Career Prospect abroad
One of the major reason most of the students are attracted towards the BHM program is its career prospect abroad. Earning a BHM degree opens a door for a lot of careers. Either you have attained the BHM degree in Nepal and or studying BHM in foreign country, you can find a decent job in the restaurant and hotels.
- Applicant should have completed 12 years of formal education
- Applicants from any stream (Humanities, Management and Science) are eligible to join the course
- Applicant should have secured at least fifty percent in +2
- Applicant should have studied English carrying 100 marks
- Applicant should appear and pass the entrance test ‘CMAT’
- Applicant who cleared the entrance examination are called for the interview and the admission is granted on the merit basis
- Documents Checklist
- Complete and signed application form along with an application fee
- Copy of academic certificates (SLC/SEE and +2)
- Copy of character certificates issued by school and college
- Copy of citizenship card
- Two recent passport size photographs
- Transfer Certificate
Tribhuvan University’s constituent campuses affiliated colleges and campuses should provide scholarship to two deserving students each year. Students who have passed SLC/SEE and +2 from community school and college are eligible to apply for this scholarship. This scholarship covers up to fifty percent of the tuition fee.
List of the College Offering Bachelor of Hotel Management in Nepal
- South Asian School of Tourism and Hotel Management, Biratnagar, Morgan
- Nepal College of Travel and Tourism Management (NCTTM), Gaushala, Kathmandu
- Nepal Academy of Tourism and Hotel Management (NATHM), Kalimati, Kathmandu
- National College of Computer Studies (NCCS), College of IT and Management, Paknajol, Kathmandu
- Morgan Engineering and Management College, Basundhara, Kathmandu
- Mid-Valley International College, Gyaneshwor, Kathmandu
- Medhavi College, Shankhamul, Kathmandu
- KFA Business School, New Baneshwor, Kathmandu
- ICHM – Lalitpur College, Shantinagar, Kathmandu
- Butwal Model College, Kataiya, Rupandehi
- Axis College, Sukkanagar, Butwal
- Aayaam International College, Kumaripati, Lalitpur
- Balkumari College, Bharatpur, Chitwan
- Rajdhani Model College, Old Baneshwor, Kathmandu
- Platinum Management College, Dillibazaar, Kathmandu
- Kantipur International College, Buddhanagar, Kathmandu
- GoldenGate International College, Old Baneshwor, Kathmandu
- Ritz Hospitality Management College, Balkumari, Lalitpur
- Liberty College, Anamnagar, Kathmandu
- Himalayan Whitehouse International College: School of Management, New Baneshwor, Kathmandu
- Atharva Business College, Bansbari, Kathmandu
- Padmashree International College, Tinkune, Kathmandu
- Apollo International College (AIC)¸Baneshwor, Kathmandu
- Quest International College, Gwarko, Lalitpur
- AITM-School of Hotel Management, Khumaltar, Lalitpur
- Nesfield International College, Lagankhel, Lalitpur
- Gateway College of Professional Studies, Basundhara, Kathmandu
- NTP College, Mid Baneshwor, Kathmandu
- International School of Tourism and Hotel Management (IST College), Gyaneshwor, Kathmandu
Fresher earns from NRs. 15 to NRs 20 thousands. However, with some hand-on experience, one can make good money later.
Further Study Options
Graduates with BHM degree can continue their education by enrolling in
- Masters in Hospitality Management
- MBA in Hotel Management
- Masters in Tourism
Bachelor’s Degree in Travel and Tourism (BTTM)