Public health deals with the promotion, preservation and protection of an individual and society’s health. Like the saying goes, ‘Prevention is better than cure’, public health foster the healthy behavior.
In Nepal, a number of people are living under the poverty line. People are dying from the diseases that can be prevented easily, for e.g. diarrhea. This is all happening due to the lack of health awareness. To address these issues, the Bachelor in Public Health program has been developed. The program is designed to produce a competent and dedicated public health professional. Throughout the program, students learn about the prevention, promotion, protection and population. The curriculum teaches a student to communicate with people effectively, health education and preventive measures. The program covers subjects such as an introduction to public health, toxicology & entomology, anatomy & physiology, public health, pharmacology, laboratories & term papers, pharmacy & biochemistry, health promotion & education, microbiology & immunology, technical English, applied health promotion and education, food & nutrition, human resource development, environmental & occupational health etc.
BPH aspires to equip students with the knowledge and skills needed to function well as health professionals in distinct settings. Some of the major objectives of this program include:
To enable students to communicate effectively with people of different ethics and culture and advocate for health education
- To develop leadership quality
- To function in a multidisciplinary team
- To enable students to plan and implement health education in the real world
- To encourage students for lifelong learning and research
- To give a base for further higher studies
Cost of Study BPH in Nepal
Pokhara University: The cost of studying BPH program at Pokhara University is NRs. 290,000. This does not include the field visit and other expenses. The tuition fee may be a little higher in the private colleges as per the facilities and infrastructures they provide.
Tribhuvan University: The cost of studying BPH program at Tribhuvan University is NRs 314,835 for students applying under the reservation quota (subsidized seats) and NRs. 708,725 for other students (non-subsidized seats).
Purbanchal University: The cost of studying BPH program at Purbanchal University has not been disclosed yet.
Duration of Course
The Bachelor in public Health degree is awarded to the students after the completion of the degree program which lasts for four years. The program is divided into 8 semesters. However, students studying in Purbanchal University complete this course in three years.
Career Prospects in Nepal
Nepal is an under developing country. Most of the people residing in the rural areas of Nepal are still uneducated. They are unaware of the fact that the lots of diseases can be prevented if we adopt the preventive measures. To deal with such a situation, health professional is required. Thus, students with this degree should never worry about finding the job since Nepal has lots of scope in this field. Graduates with this degree can find a job in hospitals, health research council, health center, health organization and universities. The careers opportunities can be broadly categorized under medical sales representative, health service manager, health promotion specialist, teacher, community development worker, counselor, social worker etc.
Candidate seeking admission to the Bachelor in Public Health Program should have
- Completed +2 in science stream or Proficiency certificate in Medicine though a recognized institution
- Studied biology in +2
- Secured at least second division in +2
- Appear and pass the entrance examination held by the university
- Applicant should submit the following documents at the time of admission:
- Complete and signed admission form along with application fee
- Official copy of academic certificates (SLC onwards)
- Copy of character certificate issued by the school
- Copy of character certificate issued by the College
- Copy of citizenship card
- Transfer Certificate
Pokhara University: Each year Pokhara University and affiliated colleges provides scholarship to sixteen meritorious students.
Tribhuvan University: The University and its affiliated colleges award scholarship to students on the merit basis. Detailed information can be abstract from the university’s administration.
List of College Offering Bachelor in Public Health in Nepal
Colleges affiliated to TU
- Manmohan Memorial Institute of Health Science (MMHS), located in Solteemode, Kathmandu
- Gandaki Medical College (GMC), located in Nayabazaar, Pokhara
- Chitwan Medical College (CMC), located in Bharatpur, Chitwan
- Maharajgunj Medical Campus, located in Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
- Universal College of Medical Sciences and Teaching Hospital (UCMS), located in Siddharthanagar
Colleges affiliated to Purbanchal University
- Yeti Health Science Academy, located in Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
- Valley College of Technical Sciences, located in Nagarjung
- Unique College of Medical Science, located in Rajbiraj, Saptari
- Shree Medical and Technical College, located in Bharatpur
- Saptarishi Multiple College, located in Rajbiraj, Saptari
- Sanjeevani College of Medical Sciences, located in Butwal
- Om health Campus, located in Sarsawatinagar Road, Kathmandu
- Oasis Medical College, located in Bharatpur, Chitwan
- Nepal Institute of Health Science, located in Boudha Road, Gokarneshwor
- NAMS College, located in Surya Bikram Gayawali Marga
- Koshi Health Institute, located in Ekta Marg, Biratnagar
- Karnali College of Health Science, located in Surya Bikram Marg, Kathmandu
- Edinburgh International College, located in Janpathe, Biratnagar
- Birat Health College and Research Centre, located in Koshi Hwy, Biratnagar
- Asian College for Advance Studies, located in Satdobato Marg, Patan
- Little Buddha College of Health Science, located in Minbhawan marg,, Kathmandu
- Hope International College, located in Tikabhairab Sadak, Patan
College Affiliated to Pokhara University
- LA GRANDEE International College, located in Rastra Bank Rd, Pokhara
- CIST College, located in Panchakumari Marg, Kathmandu
- Pokhara University School of Health and Allied Sciences, located in Lekhnath
- Nobel College, located in Sinamangal Rd, Kathmandu
- National Open College (NOC) located in Sanepa, Ring Road, Lalitpur
The program prepares students to work in the health sector in the entry-level position. Generally Bachelor in Public Health graduates earn from NRs. 15,000 to NRs. 20,000 inside the Kathmandu valley whereas those working outside the valley are paid little higher. Their salary ranges from 25,000 to 30,000.
Further Study Option
The Bachelor in Public Health degree holder has option to pursue the higher studies in Master in Public Health program.
List of Similar Courses
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Medical Microbiology
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Technology
- Bachelor of Nursing Science
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Imaging Technology or Radiographic Technology
BPH Course Summary
Average Cost: 3-7 Lakhs in average
General Admission session: January/ July